Paid Internet Ads
by Mike Barry
CEO Fort Collins Web Works LLC
There are two ways to drive customers to your website. You can create a great website filled with valuable content and build lots of incoming links, which can take a lot of time and effort, or you can pay for ads on the Internet, which takes much less time and effort and money. Paid ads cost money, but they are a quick way to drive customers to your website. You can create a Google Adwords campaign and have customers looking at your website in an hour or less.
You can buy ads from search engines like Google and Yahoo and Bing, or you can buy banner ads from websites that attract the attention of people that you want to become your customers. We will discuss Google's paid ads in more detail because Google is the most popular search engine in the US.
Google calls its paid ads "Google Adwords" and it offers two versions, the normal Google Adwords & Google Adwords Express. Google Adwords Express is much simpler and easier for new users to implement, and normal Google Adwords takes more effort and gives the users much more control over how the ads are displayed making them more effective.
Google Adwords Express is quick and easy to setup.
Start at URL: http://www.google.com/adwords/express
Add information for your business including business name and address, contact information, website, and up to 5 categories that describe your business. Create an ad with: headline, ad text, website URL. Specify how much you want to pay per day, and decide on the area that you want your ads to serve, and tell Google how you want to pay for your ads. Google will select keywords based on the categories that you have chosen and start your ad campaign right away.
Google Adwords is much more flexible, but it takes more time and effort to setup.
Google Adwords will collect information about how many impressions and clicks each keyword gives you, and how much they cost you. You should review your Adwords results and use this information to fine tune your ad campaigns. If you want to increase the number of impressions you can increase your budget, increase your bids, add more keywords, or add more general keywords. If you want to increase the number of click throughs to your website you do the same things you need to do to increase your number of impressions, and you can make your keywords more specific to target your ads more closely. If you want to increase the number of impressions or click throughs to your website without spending more you can make your keywords more specific, lower your bids, and add negative keywords.
How to setup a Google Adwords campaign
Start at URL: http://www.google.com/adwords
- Name your campaign something to help you identify this campaign.
- Select the type of campaign either "Search" or "Display Networks" or both. Selecting "Search" will place your ads on search results pages like Google search, Google Maps, and AOL. Selecting "Display Networks" will place your ads on other websites like Gmail and YouTube.
- Select "Standard" or "All Features"
- Select which devices that will see your ads, desktops or mobile devices.
- Define where you want your ads displayed.
- Choose a language for your ads.
- Choose how to set your bids, manually or let Adwords automatically set them.
- Specify your budget, the amount you want to spend per day.
- Choose how you want your ads displayed over time.
- Choose ad extensions like: location, product details, special website links, phone number, Google+ connections, dynamic ads, links to mobile apps.
- Schedule starting date, ending date, and when your ads will run.
- Specify how you want your ads rotated, and whether you want to limit the number of impressions.
- Choose if you want +1 buttons on your ads.
- Decide how "Exact" and "Phrase Match" options work.
- Specify any Dynamic Tracking URL you are using.
- Create Ad Groups corresponding to products or services that you offer on your website. Give the Ad Group a name that makes sense to you. Each Ad Group can have multiple ads.
- Create Ads for each Ad Group, concentrating on the product or service that Ad Group targets. Specify for each ad: type, headline, ad text, display URL, destination URL, keywords (for search engines), and placements (websites for ads).
- If you selected manual billing you will have to specify how much you are willing to pay for each time a user clicks on your ad, for each keyword.
- Tell Google how you want to pay for your ad campaigns. Google will start your campaign right away.